Monday, March 10, 2014

Daylight Savings Time is the most terrible thing ever!

Well, it's been a good week! You can get tunnel vision if you're not careful as a missionary, it's as you take a step back and review your efforts that you can notice a change. To start off, we have been setting up a lot of lessons and laying a lot of groundwork, prepping this area to have a great week this week. 
Something interesting was I went on exchange to Ephrata last Wednesday and we did a lot of tracting there. Man, what a work. It is cold and people get to be rude to you and in general it's just not a super good time. But we met some cool people too, and hopefully they will be able to teach them in the future. We are exchanging again tomorrow with the Zone Leaders, so I'll be going to Elizabethtown while Elder Durham, my old District Leader, comes here. I'm a little bummed because we have a bunch of awesome lessons set up for tomorrow that I'll miss. Oh well.
So last P-day we were at the church playing basketball and we had a couple of non-members there.  You can tell the Word of Wisdom is a true principle because one of the guys is a smoker and he looked about ready to pass out.  We also played ONKA, which is a kind of a dodgeball-kickball hybrid.  It’s super fun.  Elder H shows no mercy and will just peg you if he gets the opportunity.  However, something bad happened.  Someone pitched me the ball, I kicked it and it shot straight up.  It nailed one of the plaster ceiling tiles, which popped up and fell through, where it then hit the ground and cracked.  So that was bad.  It’s hard to build up a good impression with the ward when their first impression of you is that your “Elder Wrecking Ball Wright”.
Daylight Savings Time is the most terrible thing ever! I was so tired Sunday! We had to get up even earlier than we usually do because we had Ward Council before church. And I gave a talk! Sister Roberts was supposed to, while I was supposed to do it next week, but she was super sick so I did it. Wrote the thing that morning too and then gave it. I talked about missionary work and how we will have success and joy as we work together as members and missionaries. The other talks were about service too, so it all tied together as well. Also, I used the hymn #223, Have I Done Any Good, as a key point in my talk, and then it was the rest hymn right after. Cool or what?
And the last cool thing was that we picked up some new Spanish investigators! Y, J, and Y! They live at Brother G's house and they actually were learning about the church before and came a few times. Then a crazy member of the church who's actually less active scared them away by shouting at them or something. But now they want to learn again. It was a really cool lesson. I started teaching about the Restoration but we slowed it down, got them talking and sharing their thoughts and experiences, and then were bearing our testimonies about how we knew how they could find out for themselves. It was really cool, I was translating back and forth English to Spanish and vice-versa because Elder H doesn't speak Spanish, and was doing it faster than the native speakers were. That’s the help of the Spirit right there! It was legit. 
Well, I love you all! The church is true!
Elder Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment