Monday, January 12, 2015

Pray for the Twig!

Well, the moment of truth... what happened this Sunday in the #fredoniatwig ?
Well before I tell you that, I have to tell you that Elder O  got emergency transferred. He got the call Tuesday and left Thursday. Because of the large number of missionaries leaving early to begin school, things got crazy this last week. It was something expected, but still disappointing. I loved serving with Elder O! He got transferred to Harrisburg Drive, where he will be a Zone Leader! So that's pretty cool! He'll be right near my old stomping grounds!
Now for the group news. There were three groups that opened yesterday, the Fredonia, Warren, and Corry groups, the last being a split from Erie ward. So we showed up early, just to make sure everything was prepared for the twig to begin at 10:30. Our group leader had set up the old Primary room to be where both meetings would be held, due to small number expected to arrive. We were very unsure about how many people would be there. We had run the ward roster, visiting every inactive member we could and telling them the twig was opening, but this was going to be the moment of truth. I had been hoping and praying for at least 25 in attendance. As the time wore on, I got more and more nervous. At 10 minutes till, there were 7 people there, including us. And then... a miracle happened. People begain arriving en masse. We were scrounging around the church for additional chairs to set up. Active members were there, but so many inactive members as well. We had four investigators in attendance as well. The large primary room was filled to bursting, and after Sunday School our group leader made the executive decision to move to the chapel for the Sacrament meeting. We had 50 people at the church this last Sunday.
As I sat in the pews, I realized how powerfully the Lord has answered the prayers that faithful members have been offering for almost three years. An older inactive sister that we had found and invited was in attendance, just crying as the Spirit bore witness to her spirit that this was where she needed to be. Another less active sister remarked that entering the chapel after these years was "like coming home." The feelings that everyone had were very deep and heartfelt, and there was such a spirit of determination to reach out to others who have not been in attendance. It was such an incredible experience, and I am so grateful that I have been able to be a part of it. 
The Lord really took that bit of faith that I had, took it, and magnified it. And made a miracle. How about that!
Pray for the twig!
Elder Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment