Monday, June 22, 2015

Tons of older people in spandex showed up, not a great combination.

This week was just an awesome week. We did work. I went to an exchange with Elder R who is a new missionary. It was very funny to see the perspective that he's at compared with the perspective that I'm at. But he's a good guy, and we did a lot of good things. We had an excellent lesson with A. I can't remember if I mentioned her to you, but she is wheelchair-bound, stretch, covered in tattoos, and full of piercings. She is a wonderful lady and you can just feel the light of Christ pouring out of her. She has been investigating since the winter and while she has made incredible progress she has not felt the spirit tell her to be baptized. She feels that there is just still so much she doesn't know and doesn't understand and that she is not ready. We had a lesson about the necessity of a step of faith, and how even after all that we know and all that we believe, there comes a point when we must step into the unknown and then the next step becomes clear. She is very frightened of the Leap of faith, but she realized that it was necessary. She told us she had been praying a lot about a baptismal date already and that she had a day that she wanted to set. July 13 was the day that she had come up with, which, as you know it's two days before I leave my mission. However she still didn't feel of this date was right and so she's praying about this date this week. If you guys back home could join in prayer that she will get a confirmation for the date, I would really appreciate it. I really know the power of united prayer.

This Tuesday, we had a big zone conference. It was my last zone conference ever. We had a big training on the next phase of the iPad rollout, social media. It was really interesting and informative, and made me a little more excited about it. It's weird though, I will probably use Facebook for like two weeks before going home, and then I will use it all the time. But it will definitely add a new dimension to our proselyting and allow us to keep in better contact with our investigators. You can do a lot of good with social media. Elder Whitney and I performed a boss musical number, the Redeemer medley. I composed a medley that combined “Savior, Redeemer of my Soul”, “Come thou Fount of Every Blessing”, and “I Know that my Redeemer Lives”. It was pretty rocking awesome. Then came the departing testimonies. Missionaries have the opportunity to bear their testimony in their last zone conference, and I was up first. It was a really emotional experience, much more so than I expected. But I felt the spirit very strongly, and it was a very very powerful experience for me, I feel like I was able to say the sum total of my emotions throughout the mission, and how I really felt about it. And the mission has impacted me in such a profound and serious way. It's really difficult to express but I am so grateful for it. Then after the zone conference, M picked us up for dinner. We went out for lobster and crab cakes. That was pretty rad. M really spoils us.

 I can definitely state that the opposition in the past few weeks has reinforced my testimony. When you have different sources from all sides attacking your beliefs, questioning your convictions, and doubting your testimony, it makes you want to study harder, learn more and ponder deeper. As I have read the Scriptures this past week, I've been blown away by the knowledge and docs and contained in them and the answers it provides. I really believe that we look for answers we find them, and sometimes it takes someone goading us to dig even deeper to find even more. So it has been really good. This week in a way has just been exhausting; we have done so much service for others. We helped 4 families move, and we also cleaned out a giant basement. Plus the regular demands of missionary work! It is tiring. But I can rest when it's over I guess. The Rolling Stones had a concert in Heinz Park. Tons of older people in spandex showed up, not a great combination. I'm surprised that Mick Jagger is still around, what with everything he's ingested in his system.

Interesting observation about the power of the Book of Mormon. It is the greatest instrument in conversion (along with the spirit) that we have. Use it well!
Love
Elder Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment